PURPOSE: The purpose of the Nominating Committee is to recruit, review and prepare a slate of qualified nominees for each vacancy on the Board of Trustees. The Committee will utilize written guidelines to determine the qualifications for Board service.
The Nominating Committee, in conjunction with the Governance Committee, will conduct a yearly performance evaluation of the Board of Trustees and of individual members.
MEMBERSHIP: The Nominating Committee will be chaired by a member of the Board of Trustees. Membership will be drawn from other interested trustees and interested members of the community-at-large. The President of the Board of Trustees and the Executive Director of the ACL will be nonvoting members of the Committee.
COMMITTEE CHAIR PERSON: JOB DESCRIPTION
The Chair must be a member of the Board of Trustees. The Chair reports to the President of the Board and communicates decisions/recommendations to the full Board. Minutes of the meetings are distributed to the Board of Trustees.
The Chair sets the agenda for meetings with input from the Executive Director and/or other committee members.
The Chair ensures that Committee members have the necessary information to perform their jobs. This may include helping committee members to identify areas for which additional knowledge/training may be needed. The Chair may provided training directly or direct the member(s) to other sources for the needed information.
The Chair leads, and may participate in, the development and implementation of guidelines/procedures in the following activities:
- Recruitment process for potential Board members
- Qualifications for potential Board members
- Development of slates of qualified persons to fill Board vacancies
- Ensuring that all necessary processes have been completed prior to presenting potential candidates for election
- Conducting elections to fill Board vacancies
- Coordinating with the Chair of the Governance Committee to develop and implement a yearly evaluation of the performance of the Board of Trustees and of individual members. Performance indicators would be based on the Strategic Plan for the ACL.
COMMITTEE MEMBER JOB DESCRIPTION
- The Committee will meet on a schedule to be determined by the Chair. Attendance at meetings and active participation at meetings is expected.
- Members will participate in the development and implementation of guidelines regarding recruitment of potential new members for the Board of Trustees. Recruitment activities should include personal interviews.
- Members will participate in the development and implementation of guidelines that describe qualifications for potential new Board members.
- Prepare slates of candidates for Board vacancies and conduct the election to fill such vacancies.
- In conjunction with the Governance Committee develop and implement an evaluation process and tool to assess the performance of the Board of Trustees and also of individual members.