Purpose: Ongoing review and recommendations to enhance the current quality and future viability of the Board of Trustees.
Membership: The Chair Person of the Governance Committee will be a member of The Board of Trustees. The Executive Director of the ACL will be an ex officio member. Other members will come from the Board.
Committee Chairperson Job Description:
- Reports to the President of the Board of Trustees
- Reports to the full Board on Committee decisions and recommendations
- Ensures that Committee members have the information and tools needed to perform their jobs. This may include helping committee members to identify areas for which additional training/knowledge may be needed. The Chair may provide such training directly or direct member(s) to other sources for needed information/training.
- Sets the agenda for meetings, and conducts meetings.
- Creates and distributes meeting minutes.
- Ensures that the Committee develops yearly goals and leads the evaluation of progress/achievement of said goals.
- Actively collaborates with the Chair of the Nominating Committee in activities related to Board of Trustee’s composition and a yearly evaluation of the performance of the Board and individual members toward defined goals for the year
Committee Member Job Description:
- Members will commit to meeting on a regular schedule to be determined by the Committee.
- Members will participate individually or in conjunction with other committee members in the review, evaluation and recommendations from such review on topics as assigned by the Committee Chair.
- Members will demonstrate a willingness to read and become familiar with current documents related to the responsibilities of the Committee, the scope and function of the ACL, the Strategic Plan, etc.
- Members will actively participate in the development of Committee goals for the year and in the assessment of performance on those goals.
The Governance Committee does its work in the following areas:
Board Role and Responsibilities: Leads the Board in regularly reviewing and updating the Board’s statement of its roles and areas of responsibility, and what is expected of individual Board members.
Assists the Board in periodically updating and clarifying the primary areas of focus for the Board, and shapes the Board’s agenda for the next year or two, based on the Strategic Plan.
Board Knowledge: Designs and oversees a process of Board orientation, including gathering information needed before prospect is elected to Board and information needed during the early stage of Board service. Designs and implements an ongoing program of Board information and education.
Board Effectiveness: Initiates periodic assessment of the Board’s Performance. Proposes, as appropriate, changes in Board structure and operations. Provides ongoing counsel to the Board Chair and other Board leaders on steps that they may take to enhance Board effectiveness. Regularly reviews the Board’s practices regarding member participation, conflict of interest, etc. and suggests improvements as needed. Periodically reviews and updates the Board’s policy guidelines and practices
Board Composition: In conjunction with the Nominating Committee, assesses the current and anticipated composition of the Board, and determines the knowledge, attributes, skills, abilities, influence and resources required to accomplish the future work of the Board.